Monday, July 1, 2013

2013 Giro Rosa, Stage 2 Results

Former World Champion Giorgia Bronzini (Wiggle Honda) won the second stage ahead of Marianne Vos (Rabobank) who managed an incredible feat of staying upright when she had a pedal problem in the sprint finish. Third place went to Barbara Guarischi (Vaiano Fondriest).

Vos' handling skills in the video here at 1:30, "I was really in danger of falling because of a small depression in the road and I became unclipped from my right pedal. I was really near to the stage win but I'm happy to be safe and still in pink. I wouldn't be if it were not for my skills on the bike, probably I was just lucky.":


Bronzini: "I'm really happy because my last victory in the Giro Rosa was a lifetime ago... in 2008 in the Caerano San Marco (TV)-Pontecchio Polesine (RO) stage. Yesterday I was really unlucky because I punctured twice in the final, I finished last and I wanted to reverse the classification as soon as possible. I made it today thanks to my super teammates."

Tomorrow, stage 3, is a hard stage starting and finishing in Cerro al Volturno (IS), 102 km to be ridden on the roads where Noemi Cantele won in 2009. That was the last Italian victory in the Giro Rosa until today's victory by Bronzini.

Stage results:

1. Bronzini Giorgia (Wiggle Honda) 99,600 km in 2h34'03" average speed 38,793 km/h

2. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.

3. Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest) s.t.

4. Hall Lauren (Nazionale Usa) s.t.

5. Collins Emily (Wiggle Honda) s.t.

6. Ferrand Prevot Pauline (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.

7. Kozonchuk Oxana (Rusvelo) s.t.

8. Johnsen Cecilies Gotas (Hitec Products) s.t.

9. Amialiusik Alena (BePink) s.t.

10. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) s.t.

General Classification:

1. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) in 5h27'37"

2. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) at 17"

3. Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest) at 17''

4. Leth Julie (Hitec Products) at 17"

5. Visser Adrie (Boels Dolmans Cycling Team) at 19''

Jerseys:

PINK Derma Fresh, General Classification: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)

CYCLAMEN Selle Italia, Points Classification: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)

GREEN Saugella, KOM Classification: Scandolara Valentina (MCipollini Giordana)

WHITE Algida, Young Classification: Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest)

BLUE Dama, Italian Classification: Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana)

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column. With more than 2,900 stories in this blog the custom search feature (right column) works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button underneath the search button.

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment