Friday, July 8, 2011

2011 Tour de France, Stage 6


Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) scored his first, and Team Sky's first, Tour de France stage victory ahead of Goss and Hushovd in the Dinan-Lisieux (226 km) stage. Hushovd retains the yellow jersey.

Highlight for Italians was the effort of Adriano Malori (Lampre-ISD) who was in a long breakaway and then with 20 km to go went solo in a bid for victory. The Italian national time trail champion was caught with 2.7 km to go. He received the "most combative" rider award. Malori said, "In the morning meeting with the sport director I was told that I should pay attention to the attacks in the early part of the stage. As soon as I realized that a good action was beginning, I reacted and I found myself in the breakaway. We made a lot of efforts to obtain a good advantage but, when I was alone, I knew that it would have been very difficult to reach the arrival. Anyway, I think that it has been a great day for me, full of emotions and receiving the award as most combative rider at the ceremony".



Top 10GC:
1 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 22:50:34
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:01
3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:00:04
4 David Millar (GBr) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:00:08
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team RadioShack 0:00:10
6 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
7 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:12
8 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling
9 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek
10 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek

The best placed Italians are:

20 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:01:03
24 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:01:12

Photos: Bettini

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,000 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment