Robbin Penney from Calgary, Alberta, Canada is the winner of the Italian Cycling Journal/Biemme Giro d'Italia contest. Robbin was the first to answer all 10 questions correctly.
First, a big thank you to Biemme for providing the cycling shorts prize. Biemme, of Brogliano (VICENZA), Italy, has been making cycling clothing in Italy for the pros for over 30 years. They are now also making custom clothing for teams in the USA and throughout the world. If you would like to design for your custom team wear Biemme can help you. Simply go to: http://www.biemmesport.com/DFT.asp?LinguaId=2 where you will find 25 semi-custom designs. When you click on the individual jersey designs, you are offered the chance to play around with customized color options. Each design in fact offers over 1500 color combination options. Biemme can also work with you to come up with a fully unique design starting from a blank sheet of paper. For more information visit their website at http://www.biemmesport.com/ or send an email to biemmeUSA@biemmesport.comEXPERIENCE THE CLOTHES OF CHAMPIONS LIKE DANILO DI LUCA!
"Questions 6 & 7 were tough to answer but the whole exercise was fun and educational!! I am a masters age cyclist from Calgary, Canada and member of the Calgary CrankMasters Cycling Club. I have a great appreciation for Italian cycling culture and I own and ride Italian steel bicycles made by Scapin and Zullo and equipped with Campagnolo Record components and wheels. I am a big fan of European Pro racing and enjoy watching races like the Giro d'Italia over the Internet. Some highlights of my cycling career include participating in the World Masters Games Road Race in Edmonton, Canada and meeting Italian pro riders such as Danilo Di Luca, Ivan Basso, Daniel Nardello and Fabio Sacchi at the World Road Race Championships in Hamilton, Canada. I also recently completed my tenth consecutive STOKR Century Ride in support of Habitat for Humanity in Libby, Montana, USA."
Photo: Robbin with his Scapin S8.
The contest questions and answers:
1. What was the title of the movie film in which Coppi and Bartali had roles?
A. Totò al Giro d’Italia
2. Which famous frame builder finished last in the Giro d'Italia?
A. Giovanni Pinarello
3. Who were the 5 time winners of the Giro d'Italia?
A. Alfredo Binda, Fausto Coppi, Eddy Merckx
4. What was the name of the team manager of the first American team to participate in the Giro d'Italia?
A. Robin Morton
5. What year was the "pink" jersey introduced as the leader's jersey?
6. Sastre's 2009 Giro ...............has the drawing of a ..................on it.
A. Cervelo, pacifier
7. Basso's 2009 Giro .............has a .............painted on it.
A. saddle, flower
8. Which rider won the Giro d'Italia two times without winning a stage?
A. Franco Balmamion
9. The first time Giro time trial was held in .......(year) and won by.......(rider).
A. 1933, Alfredo Binda
10 Which teams wore Biemme cycling kits in the centenary Giro?
A. LPR Brakes, AG2R
Stories, including cycling trip stories, for the Italian Cycling Journal welcome; contact email@example.com